“It depends.” These two simple words can answer a number of questions raised when it comes to visualizing data and communicating with it effectively. In this session, Cole discusses 10 common data visualization questions where the answer is “it depends” and discusses what it depends on and the critical thought process required for success. Cole also answers reader questions on considerations between lower and upper case in data visualization related text and Excel resources.
Listening time: 45:00. Links mentioned during the podcast:
- Study on pie charts by Robert Kosara & Drew Skau
- F**ck it, let’s use pie charts by Jon Schwabish
- Misleading data & visualizations video, Alberto Cairo at Urban Institut
- Visualizing incomplete & missing data + Visualizing uncertainty by Nathan Yau
- Recent #SWDchallenge: 88 annotated line graphs
- Recent SWD post incorporating feedback on text placement by Elizabeth Ricks
- How much labeling should you include in a visualization? + Is white space always your friend? by Neil Richards
- Excel resources: SWD downloads, annkemery.com, Peltier Tech & Chandoo
- Updates: Audible book, upcoming workshops in London, Zurich, SF & Seattle
- Questions? email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Feedback? email email@example.com
Subscribe in your favorite podcast platform to be updated when new episodes are available. If you like what you hear, please rate or review the SWD podcast. You can find past episodes on the podcast page, including sessions focusing on how I've built storytelling with data, feedback in data visualization and discussion of what is story?